Banjosa Lake is a captivating tourist destination that offers a serene and peaceful retreat for nature lovers. Surrounded by lush green mountains and towering pine trees, this pristine lake is a paradise for those seeking solace and tranquility away from the bustling city life. In this article, we will explore the enchanting Banjosa Lake, its attractions, activities, and also provide you with some dos and don’ts to ensure a memorable and safe trip.
The Beauty of Banjosa Lake:
Banjosa Lake, located in the district of Rawalakot, is a man-made reservoir formed by the construction of a dam on the Banjosa River. The crystal-clear waters of the lake reflect the majestic mountains, creating a postcard-worthy landscape. The picturesque surroundings, encompassing lush green meadows and dense forests, add to the charm of this natural wonder.
To reach Banjosa Lake, you can take a scenic road trip from Islamabad, the capital city of Pakistan, or travel by public transport. The journey takes approximately four to five hours, depending on road conditions and traffic. Private cars, taxis, and buses are readily available for hire. It is advisable to plan your trip during the pleasant spring or summer months when the weather is mild and the scenery is at its best.
Banjosa Lake offers a range of accommodation options to suit every traveler’s needs and budget. From luxurious resorts and hotels to cozy guesthouses and camping sites, you can choose the option that best suits your preferences. It is recommended to book your accommodation in advance, especially during the peak tourist season, to ensure availability.
Attractions and Activities:
Boating: One of the most popular activities at Banjosa Lake is boating. Rent a paddleboat or a motorboat and explore the tranquil waters while soaking in the breathtaking views of the surroundings. Boating charges range from approximately £5-£10 per hour.
Picnicking: The well-maintained parks and picnic spots near the lake are perfect for enjoying a relaxing day with family and friends. Pack a picnic basket, spread out a blanket, and savor the beauty of nature while indulging in a delicious meal.
Nature Walks: Take leisurely walks along the lakeside or venture into the nearby pine forests. The refreshing air, the gentle rustling of leaves, and the melodic chirping of birds create a rejuvenating experience.
Photography: Banjosa Lake provides a myriad of photographic opportunities. Capture the changing hues of the sky reflected on the lake’s surface or photograph the vibrant flora and fauna that inhabit the area.
Wildlife Exploration: Nature enthusiasts will delight in the diverse wildlife found in the vicinity of Banjosa Lake. Keep your eyes peeled for various bird species, including the colorful Kingfisher and the majestic Golden Eagle. The region is also home to species such as deer, foxes, and Himalayan black bears.
Dos and Don’ts:
To ensure a safe and enjoyable trip to Banjosa Lake, keep the following dos and don’ts in mind:
- Respect the local culture and customs of the region.
- Dress modestly and appropriately, especially when visiting nearby villages or religious sites.
- Carry drinking water and snacks during outdoor activities.
- Pack sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun.
- Carry insect repellent to ward off mosquitoes and other insects.
- Dispose of litter responsibly and help keep the surroundings clean.
- Engage in responsible tourism practices, such as supporting local businesses and being mindful of your environmental impact.
- Do not disturb or harm the wildlife or vegetation in the area.
- Avoid venturing into restricted or dangerous areas without proper guidance.
- Refrain from playing loud music or causing unnecessary noise that may disturb the tranquility of the surroundings.
- Do not leave campfires unattended, and follow all safety guidelines to prevent accidental fires.
- Avoid swimming in the lake without proper supervision or knowledge of the water conditions.
- Do not engage in any activities that may harm the ecosystem or violate local regulations.
Banjosa Lake in Azad Kashmir is a true gem for nature lovers and adventure seekers alike. With its captivating beauty, diverse activities, and opportunities for relaxation, it offers a perfect escape from the stresses of daily life. Whether you choose to explore the lake on a boat, take a leisurely stroll along its shores, or simply immerse yourself in the peaceful ambiance, Banjosa Lake is sure to leave you with cherished memories that will last a lifetime. So pack your bags, embrace the natural beauty, and embark on an unforgettable journey to Banjosa Lake. Read more about some majestic lakes in Gilgit Baltistan.